I’ve used red perilla (aka shiso) leaves as spice leaves for many dishes. But recently, I discovered that we can make juice with them and this red perilla leave juice tastes amazing. This can be a great refresh and healthy drink for a hot summer day.
Table of Contents
What is red perilla leaves?
Red perilla leaves have a unique taste, a mildly minty and earthy aroma. It has the same taste with umeboshi or red/green shiso. It is not only used in Asian cuisine but also in many non-Asian palates.
Health benefits of red perilla leaves
- High in iron
- Calcium and carotene
- Good for the respiratory tract and those with asthma
- Improves immune function
- Excellent for stomach aches and digestive upset
Red perilla juice can makes magic…
One interesting thing about this drink is it can be a little magic show for your kids.
Once the juice is finished, it has a dark pink color. But it will turns into light pink color gradually if you squeeze the lemon into it. Look!
- 200 g aka shiso leaves/red perilla (don’t have to throw away the branch)
- 2 big lemongrass (smashed the white thick part)
- 50 g ginger (sliced)
- 100 g honey (You can use more according to your taste.)
- 1 lemon
- 2 liters water
- Put all the ingredients except honey and lemon in a pot and bring to boil.
- When the water boils, turn the heat to low heat and keep cooking for 10 minutes.
- After turning off the heat, let it there for another 10 minutes without open the pan cover.
- Take out the leaves, ginger, filter juice to make it clear and add honey.
- The drink can be served in hot or cold but a cold aka shiso juice is ideal for a hot summer.
- Add lemon when serving.
This drink can be kept in the bridge for 3 days. If you prefer it hot, why not making it as warm herbal drink for a cold winter night.
Looking for some other recipes?